Facebook's answer to cross platform app development:
I dragged through the whole presentation, still some good ideas caught my attention.
- Make use of platform tool kit instead of emulating them with HTML5.
- Use a custom layout engine to build the view tree.
- Incremental tree rebuild.
Happy to see the industry looking for more pleasant ways of building apps. I have also been thinking on the problem for quite a while.
My wish list for an ultimate solution (at least for the next 30 years):
- App can be inspected and changed on the fly, no need to relaunch for non-primitive modifications. Think of how sculptors work, or even better, gardeners.
- Built-in revision control. git still feels too heavy.
- One source and can be adapted to different platforms. Think of how we use CSS prefixes for different platforms. Not pretty, but useful.
- Auto recalculation, connection between state and display elements should be seemless. Think of Excel.
- Text editors are no longer our primary tools.
- Stay close to metal.